Thursday, July 11, 2013

Refreshing the Interior Look of my GT-R

After so many years with my GT-R, I am resisting the urge to go to a newer year model with all the little tweaks, in anticipation of an R36 in a few years. So I decided to give a refreshed look to the interior of my GT-R. 

I ordered some 3M 1080 Carbon Print wrap from Amazon. It had been sitting around for a few months now and I finally decided to give it a try. I tried to practice on other things as I have never done any wrapping before and that was of no help.
I must just be one of those people that needs to just go in head first and just do it. I only had to redo 1 side panel, but everything turn out satisfactorily.

Center Console Finisher Wrapped.

I started by removing the center console pieces and when
I was done with those, I went onto the 3-switches and the dials & knobs panel.

Switch and Button Panels Wrapped.


All in all, it took about 3-5 hours, while watching TV, the only tools used were: The Wrap, a pair of Scissors, a Xacto Knife, a cutting surface, a pen and a phillips screw driver to remove the panels.

Anecdotally, wrapping everything did make the rattes go away as everything is back in there slightly tighter.


Rear Cup Holder Wrapped.
I did the rear cup holder too. I will tackle the front vents and possibly the interior door handles when I feel like removing interior panels, which I hate to do in general.